Municipal Matters

In our normal, day to day lives, individuals and businesses are more likely to be involved with the local municipal government than with the state or federal government. This can be for a variety of reasons such as traffic tickets, issues of public nuisance, simple assaults and many more.

Understanding Municipal Matters

When understanding the type of matters that are governed by a municipal government, it is important to know the hierarchy of criminal offences in the country. Below is a list:

    • Violations: Violations are minor crimes that include jaywalking, causing a public nuisance and receiving a speeding ticket. These are typically punishable by fines and the government does not have to provide an attorney for you. Violations are often settled in municipal courts.
    • Misdemeanors: One level above violations, misdemeanors can result in up to a year of jail time on top of fines, community service and probation. Some examples of misdemeanors include DUIs and simple assault. The state is required to provide you with an attorney if you cannot pay for one. Some misdemeanors can be tried in municipal court.
    • Felonies: Felonies are the most serious of offences and include crimes such as arson, rape, and murder. These are typically out of the hands of municipal courts.

Why Should You Hire Attorneys for Municipal Matters?

If you have received a violation or misdemeanor, you may think the matter is so minor you do not need an attorney. However, if you decide simply to go with it, think again. One minor offense on your record may not seem like much in itself, but if you ever find yourself in the same situation again, this can result in more serious consequences if you did not get your name cleared, such as a license suspension. Any blemish on your record can also affect your future prospects. That is why you should consider hiring an attorney for municipal matters whenever you are in doubt or have been wronged.

Common FAQs about Municipal Matters

While we are unable to advise without knowing the specifics of your case, the below are common cases addressed in a municipal court: traffic violations, drunk driving and drug offenses, assaults, shoplifting, theft, bad checks, juvenile offenses, driving without insurance, consuming alcohol in unprohibited places and more.

If you have an ordinance violation against you, this will be placed on your record, which can affect your future prospects. That is why you should always aim to invalidate the charge wherever possible. The will also likely be fines and penalties that you will be obligated to pay.

Choose Carcich O'Shea, LLC for Experienced Municipal Court Attorneys

Are you looking for an experienced attorney to represent you in municipal court? If so, you have come to the right place at Carcich O’Shea, LLC. Our knowledgeable attorneys always take the time to listen to your concerns before recommending the most suitable legal route to take.

If you have more questions about our legal expertise in family medical leave act cases, feel free to contact us today. Alternatively, you may call us at 201-988-1308 or send an email to /